Hello 2018!

Today I went to Target for the first time in ages and I bought a new doormat. I almost bought the doormat I had at my house in Arizona- a cute brown and black one. But at the last minute I switched it out for a new one, full of color. Sure, it was just a doormat, but for me it was also a moment of switching out the old for something that was fully me and mine, instead of holding on to what was.

On the way home my friends Tiffany and Jeff called. It was an absolutely encouraging and strengthening conversation as we talked through what God is doing in our lives.

I spoke of how deeply I feel joy now. Having been so entrenched in the darkness I now find joy so much more precious. I rejoice deeply in the joys of my friends and the joyful moments in my own life. I know how bad life can be, how despairing and hopeless, and so I seek to be grateful for every good thing now. The joy of my friends and the world around me is the most precious of gifts. Joy moves me and I hold tight to its beauty.

Tiffany and Jeff ended our conversation by praying a beautiful prayer for me in this new year and season. As she spoke, she prayed that this would be a year of color for me. That it would not be black and white, but colorful.

And that struck me.

Last year was full of darkness. It was all black and shades of grey. It was sadness and anger and despair. But as I start 2018 my word for the year is going to be "color." I am going to seek the color in every moment. I am going to be grateful, find joy, adventure, and laughter. I am going to spread color into the darkness.

And I am going to hold tight to every moment of joy.

It turns out I bought the right doormat after all.




Comments

  1. What a wonderful colorful way to start the new year. I'm so excited about your journey of finding happiness. It is easy to see the black and white in life, but the color takes a special eye that has to train itself to see it. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Endings and Beginnings

Faith Within Suffering

Five Years After the Divorce