Soul Tired

After my fourth chemo I got on a plane and when it landed I headed straight for the beach. With my luggage on my back I walked straight onto the sand and down to the water. I bathed in the sunshine and for a few hours, everything was quiet.

Nothing is quiet with cancer treatment. There are so many conversations with doctors, peers, well-wishers, family, and strangers. There are a barrage of appointments mixed with work responsibilities, taking care of a home, and in my case, a dog.

Everything is busy and rushed and challenging.

While in chemo, I worked hard to not let it slow me down.

Now, I am still in tri-weekly infusions, recovering from a surgery, and attending appointments, and I am exhausted.

I am soul tired.

I long for quiet. I long for rest.

So much feels not ok. I am quietly afraid that the cancer will come back and next time, I won't be able to fight it. I am afraid that my life will be cut short. I am afraid that this nagging pain in my side is actually some unusual reaction to surgery that is worse than it appears (turns out it isn't. I just texted the doctor. It is normal nerve pain. She said to take it easy. Imagine that).

The point is, I am tired and that means I forget to respond to texts or messages, I fail to call and catch up with my friends, and everything falls to the wayside except for getting out of bed and going to work.

The truth is, I need time and space for my mind, body, and soul to re-calibrate and recenter. The truth is, I am not really ok.

And for now, that's just going to have to be ok. 

Comments

  1. Explains why you have been so on my mind and in my prayers!!! Love you❤💕

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rest! Put only soul recharging things on your plate. When that is quiet, do quiet. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Endings and Beginnings

Faith Within Suffering

Five Years After the Divorce