The Smell of Winter and Comfort

My new neighborhood smells like Christmas and toasted marshmallows. Just one whiff and you are drawn into a world of winter, bonfires, and a deep sense of comfort. I think I may have found my dream home.

Today I woke up to the smell of a fall breeze coming through my window and then just moments later the rain started to pour. Rain, hail, the chill in the air. . . I was thrilled. I threw on my rain outfit and headed into town. I was getting a lot of extra long stares in the grocery store and was priding myself in looking extra cute today, but then realized that they were probably just wondering who the new girl in the bright yellow rain jacket and red boots was. I'll take it.

Then this afternoon I took some time to walk around the neighborhood loop, listening to the rustle of the pine trees and the quiet that only seems to exist in the mountains. All day I have been struck by the comfort that I feel here. Though transitions are not easy, as I have settled in these last few days I have felt within my entire being that this is exactly where I am supposed to be right now. I feel a pervading sense of happiness as I take in my surroundings of this new place to call home. And when the rain stopped and I headed to my back porch to read a book about a quaint Irish country doctor, I felt truly at home.

Even this sign I found on my walk made me feel kind of excited, like I'm outdoorsy and on an adventure. (But don't worry, I won't go looking for bears after dark). 

What joy to know that this is exactly where I am supposed to be. This is what I am supposed to be doing, and I know because I have never in my life felt so much peace and happiness about a new place. And the fact that I get to wear cute winter boots, heavy scarves and adorable little hats is definitely an excellent added bonus. Because I gotta say, what's the harm in working hard serving the Lord and looking good doing it? 

Comments

  1. ...the boots...the scarves...the hats...and our good Lord...oh...how i understand it all...blessings and hugs and love....and that big sky filled to the top with prayers elaine/ccww

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Endings and Beginnings

Faith Within Suffering

Five Years After the Divorce