A conversation with a student:

"Why did you write that you think it is time to die? That you don't care if someone kills you?"

"I don't know. Things just got really bad and I started thinking those thoughts."

"Listen to me. How many times have you tried to take your own life? 3? 4?"

"3"

"And who protected your life? Who saved you?"

"The doctors."

"No, who really saved you?"

"God."

"Yea, God. Your life has been protected. Do you realize that? Your life is so valuable because God has kept you alive for a purpose, because He has a plan for you. Its dangerous to even think for a moment that things would be better if you were dead. If anything happened to you, I don't know that I would recover. Do you believe that? You are the most important thing in the world to me."

"Me? Why me?"

"I don't know. I guess I just think that God brought us together on purpose, for a reason. You are family to me. You are a part of my family now."

"Wow."

"And you know how much I love my brother, right? I love him more than anyone else in the whole entire world."

"Ryan?"

"Yea, Ryan. And guess what. I love you just as much, exactly the same, as I love him. I would give up my own life for yours. That is how much I care about you and value your life. Do you understand that? You are not alone, and I am going to do everything I can to take care of you. When you come back to town we will figure all of this out together. Ok?"

Comments

  1. Meredith, God is using you! i pray that God continues to give you the words to speak even in the most challenging situations.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Endings and Beginnings

Faith Within Suffering

Five Years After the Divorce