The Year of Meredith's Independence

2014 was, I suppose, the year of making Meredith outdoorsy. In the beginning I was an embarrassing novice, climbing over rocks like I was 185-years old and only operating on half of a lung. In the end I was leading hiking excursions (though admittedly still rather slowly), camping in my very own tent, and sporting a plethora of spandex hiking pants. Being "outdoorsy" is now one of my favorite parts of living in this middle-of-somewhere Arizona town, so I think it is safe to say that we accomplished that goal. Way to go guys.  

So, it is 2015, and a new goal must be made. I've thought about it long and hard, considered becoming the next best youtube sensation, inspiring people with my fantastic dance moves, and being less weird, but all of those fell to the wayside when this one came to mind: 

2015: The Year of Meredith's Independence. 

I am sure you are thinking, "but Meredith, you ARE independent! What are you talking about??" 

Ah yes, I know. I am independent in many senses of the word, but the road to independence seems to keep stretching before me as I grow into my mid-twenties. I am, in a sense, the 16-year-old kid that so emphatically demands independence but still wants their mom to do their laundry and make them dinner (metaphorically of course). Independence is great until I need something done that I don't want to do, which is where the damsel in distress card comes into play and I will admit, works so very well. 

But as they say in one of my favorite books, "Most maidens are perfectly capable of rescuing themselves in my experience, at least the ones worth something, in any case." (The Night Circus, 373).

Yep, those are my 2015 words to live by. Perfectly capable of rescuing myself (although if you boys I work with are reading this, I still don't mind you carrying the really heavy things, you know, just to make you feel extra manly). 

But seriously, in all truth, what this new goal really means is becoming completely confident in who I am and am becoming, not basing my self-worth on who does or doesn't "like" me, and becoming one with God in this season not of waiting but of acting. I want to be fully confident in living this life intimately with the God who created me, trusting in who He is building me to be, no matter who is walking in that pathway with me. I want to become independent of living into other people's expectations and live fully into the expectations that God has placed before, becoming fully independent by becoming fully dependent on my Creator. 

Its quite a hefty goal. But I think it can be done. 

I have a wonderful, quiet new home that is all my own this year, and a great resolve to use my time there to focus on the God who sent me to this middle-of-somewhere Arizona town. I have confidence that the year of Meredith's Independence will be a success as I press into who I was created to be on my own, and as I find peace in being exactly where I am supposed to be. 

Stay tuned to find out how it goes. I'm interested to see what happens too. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Endings and Beginnings

Faith Within Suffering

Five Years After the Divorce