The Victory of Positivity

"Why are you so happy all of the time?"

This is a question that lately I get asked more often than you would think. At doctor's appointments (of which I have been to a lot recently) they look at my quizzically as I smile, laugh, make light of serious things, and talk about my hope for God's supernatural healing. At my new job the kids make fun of my unwavering positivity, relating me to the weirdest (and most unattractive!) cartoon characters.

I told my Arizona kids about this and they replied, "Yea, you were too happy for us too. But we got used to it." 

Haha- there are worse things to be I suppose.

What people don't realize when they comment on my "eternal optimism" is how great of a victory that is for me. I was always ridiculously optimistic growing up, but seeing my students on the reservation go through so much pain, and living in an unkind marriage, made me lose that joy for a while. For a couple of years I became an extremely angry and bitter person. It might be hard for you to imagine, but it was rough. I rarely smiled. I rarely spoke positively. I was angry at the pain of the world and I became a person I did not realize. I lost all of the light within me.

But oh how our God restores!

One of my AZ high schoolers, who is wise beyond his years, gave me a great image for this. He said that if he was a glass dish and he was dropped and shattered, would I be able to put him back together? No, I said. You would be too broken.

Correct, he replied. Instead, you would have to take those broken pieces and make them into a beautiful piece of art. It wouldn't be the same, it cannot be what it was before it was shattered, but it can be made into something even more amazing. 

Y'all, the kid is a sophomore in high school and he was throwing that wisdom at me. These kids continue to amaze me!

Though God has restored my joy, I will never be who I was before I moved to Arizona. And that is ok. My pieces have been made into a work of art that shines even more brightly. The imperfections give me character. And I absolutely love the person that I am today.

I love where I have been, I love where I am now, and I love where the path is leading me. I love my students in Arizona, I love my life in Texas, and I love. . . well, I basically love everything.

What a lightness of being I feel. What a blessed life I lead. What a heart of gratitude I have for every moment I am granted here on this earth.

It doesn't get better than this my friends. It simply does not get better than this.

Even if my new students do say I remind them of this guy: 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Endings and Beginnings

Faith Within Suffering

Five Years After the Divorce