Baking a Post-Divorce Pie

I've started baking again.

On the surface that statement seems meaningless, but to me it holds weight and resolve. It is symbolic of restoration. Who knew a pie could be so existential? 

I've always loved baking, since I was young. When I moved to Arizona I started really cooking too- homemade sauces and meals- and I learned to love that as well. But baking has always bought me joy.

After my husband left I stopped baking. I didn't see the point. I didn't have anyone to bake for and I had lost a lot of my joy. The effort seemed pointless. I could barely lift myself out of bed, why would I bake a pie?

I can remember the first time I made a meal in that year of sadness. It seemed like a great feat, an accomplishment, a marker of my resolve to not just exist but live. I remember it being difficult. Not in a physical way, but as if I was climbing some wall in my mind and the task exhausted me. Making a pot of chili was equal to running a marathon.

Yet, I could not make myself bake. Pie and despair didn't seem to go together.

Then I moved to Texas. 

Texas has been new air, new horizons, new life. Atlanta was a holding ground. It was a year of healing, of resting, of waiting. Texas has been my new beginning. I've unpacked the boxes and decorated the apartment. I began a job that I knew was a great gift. And in the midst of it, I dusted off my pans and I made a loaf of banana bread. Today, I made a miniature coconut custard pie.

As I set my pie on the counter to cool, I felt joy. Its perfectly browned crust, its soft custard- it was delicious. And it had not felt like a feat. It was second nature, simple and fun.

You see? I've started baking again. And isn't that really symbolic of everything?

_________________________________________________________________________________

A recipe for coconut custard pie: 

2 cups milk
1 cup sugar
4 eggs
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract 
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut 

Mix all ingredients except the coconut in a blender. Add the coconut and blend for 10 seconds. Pour into a greased 9-inch pie plate. (Batter will make its own crust). Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. 

To make for one, half the ingredients and use a ramekin or small baking dish. Feel zero guilt about consuming the half pie! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Endings and Beginnings

Faith Within Suffering

Five Years After the Divorce