The Weirdness of a New City

Moving to a new city is tough, ya'll.

I feel like I should be a pro at it by now, on the third go-round, but I still have days where I can't quite figure out how to conquer the challenges of a new place with gumption and bravado. Even the roads in a new city can be stressful. The roads in Dallas are crazy and trying to juggle directions, the pup, and the seemingly endless construction can be enough to make me a hermit.

Moving to a new city can be lonely. 

My first foray into a new city (Pasadena, California) took a lot of adjustment, but I was in graduate school so the ways to make friends were built in. I was in classes and an apartment where there were people my age, similar interests, and others looking to make friends in a new city.

When you are 29 and working its much harder to meet new people. I suppose every person in the store or at my apartment complex could be a potential friend, but I end up just making awkward eye contact or mumbling to my dog. Sometimes I try the ole' Georgia, "hello!" just to be met with weird looks and silence. Finding community simply takes time.

But moving to a new city can also be fun. 

For a few weekends I just sat at home with my dog, watching tv, bored and frustrated. I was lonely and I couldn't figure out how to make it better. I was trying so hard to save money since doctor's visits cost a pretty penny, so I had given up exploring my new city. I was trying to beat disease with my diet and hadn't eaten much other than vegetables for weeks.

I was trying to be responsible, not realizing that I was giving up all of the things that brought me joy. It turns out my attempt to be healthy was actually decreasing the health of my mind. I needed some happiness.

So I decided to have fun.

I started off with a three mile hike. It turns out the beauty of nature was only 35 minutes from my home. Was it hot? Yes. Did my dog try to give up three times and lay in the middle of the trail? Yes. Was it just what I needed? Absolutely.

Then I took myself out to lunch. Because sometimes you just need to take yourself out to lunch. I went to my new favorite place, that is healthy and fresh and has fun flavors of lemonade, reminiscent of my favorite Los Angeles spot. I put my phone away and worked on a puzzle like an old lady while eating.

As I was sitting on the patio I noticed a little bakery next door. I walked in to find freshly baked loaves of bread. I paid just $6 for a loaf of cinnamon walnut cranberry bread, which I came home and ate smothered in butter.

And you know what? For less than $20 I found myself happy.

So now I find one way to explore my city each weekend with a $20 budget. Last weekend that meant signing up for yoga and brunch at a rooftop bar. This weekend it will probably be pilates in the park or settling into a new coffee shop with a book.

Sure, moving to a new city has its challenges.
But discovering the new joys that surround you is always worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Endings and Beginnings

Faith Within Suffering

Five Years After the Divorce