Goodbye Tumultuous Twenties!

This weekend, I turn THIRTY.

And boy am I ready to leave my 20s!

My twenties were the stuff of a good novel, full of plot twists and unexpected downfalls.

They included a solo trip to India and hikes through vineyards in Germany.
I visited 7 countries, received two degrees, lived in 4 states, and developed some of my best friendships.
I fell in love, got my heart broken, and fell in love again.
I worked as a missionary, as a content marketer in finance, and at a pizza restaurant.
I poured my heart into my work, I raised a teenager for a little while, and I moved homes a lot.

My twenties, though not entirely bad, were entirely different than I had imagined they would be. I went through seasons of hardship that were painful and traumatic. I endured a horrible end to my marriage, a divorce, and a cancer diagnosis. I went through multiple surgeries and chemotherapy.

It is probably an understatement to say that the last five years have been incredibly difficult.

Does all of that change just because I go from 29-years-old to 30? No, but this birthday symbolizes something for me. It symbolizes a new beginning and a new era. I will start this new decade with knowledge and insight, for I have learned some beautiful things.

I have learned that you can recover when your world falls apart.
I have learned that God is still present in the midst of the darkness.
And I have learned that a heart shattered can be rebuilt.

At the age of 29 I have learned what true love really is and goodness, what a wonderful gift that has been.

No, my twenties were not all bad. Those years made me stronger, more resilient, more complex and deep. They changed me, I think in mostly good ways. But even still, on Sunday I will wipe the dust from my feet and start a new season. I am seriously hoping that the next ten years will be full of peace and void of trauma.

Perhaps there will be beautiful twists to the story. Maybe it will include true love and babies, gardens and writing.

Yes, I think I am looking forward to my thirties and whatever surprises they might hold. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Endings and Beginnings

Faith Within Suffering

Five Years After the Divorce