The flight of my heart and soul

My heart is elsewhere. 

It is sitting among the sentinels of corn and among the whispers of the wheat.

It is tucked next to a fire in a little house by the plains of the desert.

It is on the sacred mountain of a reservation in Arizona.

It is scattered among the people I love throughout the country and the world.

My body is here, but my heart is elsewhere. 

My mind is full. 

Full of the mistakes I've made and the problems still left to solve.

Full of ghosts and home videos.

Stacked the brim with to-do lists and airy dreams for days ahead.

My mind needs to focus, but it is already full. 

My body is strong. 

My heart beats with determination.

My brain connects and controls.

My arms lift and my legs power through.

I may feel like this body belongs to someone else, but this body is strong. 

My soul feels stretched. 

Stretched between

places and people that I love

things I want to do and things I need to do

guilt and responsibility

self-care and caring for the world.

And so I put one foot in front of the other. I wake up and I walk my dog through the rain. I move through each second trying to ground myself in the 

here

and the

now. 

Because happiness is something we have the power to create. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Endings and Beginnings

Faith Within Suffering

Five Years After the Divorce