The Logic of Cupcakes and Friendship

There seem to be special moments in life when something you have always known suddenly becomes real. It is like a lightbulb suddenly brightens even though the switch was always on. For example, the day in high school when I realized that a cupcake was a cake...in a cup. Magnificent logic!
Tonight was a similar moment. All of a sudden I thought to myself, Wow. I know some really amazing people. Obviously that seems slightly mundane and normal but hear me out. Tonight I realized that I have had one friend for 18 years. 18 years! That is so long it is ridiculous! Though we have lived far apart for a long time now I can still count him as one of my dearest friends and I am so blessed that we are still involved in each other's lives, even if sparingly.
Or get this. I have a family in India who let me name their baby. One day I will get to hopefully hug this amazing little boy but for now, how blessed am I to have made friends in India who loved me enough to let me name their first son?
Or one more. I know these godly men who taught me what I deserve in a husband, who taught me that I can be respected and that gentlemen do exist. And even though they gave me the ugliest nickname ever I get to smile every time I pass "Myrtle Street" in Pasadena and remember that I am loved.
And don't even get me started on my amazing support system from Christ's Church in Georgia, or the fabulous girl friends I have who love me enough to write me real letters, or the incredible people surrounding me here at Fuller. Don't even tempt me to talk about my team that I lived with in Spain because then I will never stop talking!

I guess what I am saying is wow. May I never take these people for granted and may I never ever think that I can do anything alone. I have tried so hard to be "independent" since I left college and I have sometimes mistakenly coincided that with "isolated." But tonight I realize that, at least in my life, independence is a myth, because I could not be who I am today without all the amazing people I have met along the way.

My life is enriched by each and every one of you. I am entirely and undeservedly blessed.

Note: The writing of this post was interrupted when a good friend texted me for a favor, asking for a ride home. Of course I said yes and after a confusing encounter with a small lost Chinese woman we got to have a great ride with lovely conversation. It was an absolutely blessed way to end my day. Was it chance that an exemplary friendship encounter occurred while writing this post? I think not. God always knows what He is doing. :) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Endings and Beginnings

Faith Within Suffering

Five Years After the Divorce