'Tis the Political Season

Politics.

First reaction? Bleck. The bane of my existence (dramatic much?). Boring. Dumb.

But alas, I am a grown-up with the right to vote and this time around I happen to be in a politics class. Theology and Politics to be exact. Yep, that's right. The only girl in a class of eight boys with a male professor. They are all married, so don't get your hopes up for me. I strut into that class in my pink cardigan with my silver heart hair pin and pull out my purple pen instead of the pink one because, you know, I don't want to look too girlie. I have to assert my tough I-don't-take-crap-from-nobody side. I think purple pens illustrate that pretty well.

At any rate I love the class. It is more a historically based class where we read the greats like Ragatz, Barth (silent h), and Bonhoeffer. And I hold my own because obviously girls are just as smart as boys. But when I come home and turn on the Vice-Presidential debate I get a head-ache because apparently politicians don't know the basics like manners and being polite. I do get a kick out of the fact that they refer to each other as "friend" though because really, they aren't fooling anybody.

So I consider this political season a success because not only did I vote, stay informed by watching debates and keep up with Major League Baseball, I also did not yell or completely disengage and decide to move to Iceland, which I hear is nice this time of year.

And next week, when I go back to my Theology and Politics class, probably wearing one of my super cute Fall outfits and a head full of knowledge, I will continue to channel my inner Margaret Thatcher and be super awesome in the face of a world run mostly by men.

Kick-butt economic policies, strong sassy attitude, and fabulous hair. Maggie you are my hero! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Endings and Beginnings

Faith Within Suffering

Five Years After the Divorce