Katy Perry, Fire, and Marriage

Let me set the stage for you: Katy Perry's "Firework" is playing and I'm the only one on the dance floor. Granted it's my wedding, so I was in the mindset of It's my wedding, I'm going to dance if I want to! but it's a little weird to be doing firework hand motions all by your lonesome while a circle of tables sits around you. In fact, I had thought that my friend was going to stay, but she was all danced out so there I was, having the time of my life. As I lifted my arms into a sweet slow-motion firework motion I happened to spot Cameron right by the dance floor, so being as he was now my husband and therefore required to make a fool of himself with me, I pulled him in to join me in the spotlight.

In a split second, totally like in a movie, I watched as Cameron moved toward me. I'm clearly expecting him to just do some sweet hand motions with me but instead he grabs my waist and lifts me above his head. I'm not even kidding, it was a total Dirty Dancing moment, as if his super human happy marriage strength took over and all of a sudden there I was, floating around the dance floor in the air, like the magnificent dancer that I know in my heart I am. It was magical and hilarious and perfect all at the same time. I definitely felt like an ice-skating-firework-magical-princess.

It was one of my favorite memories of the party because it was so unexpected and such a hilarious moment, all to the background of Katy Perry's Firework. Hopefully it is a sign of what the rest of our lives are going to look like!

Speaking of fire, we definitely tried to light a Chinese Wishing Lantern at our reception, even though the winds were seriously higher than normal. But in the spirit of weddings and picture perfect photos I was determined. After 5 minutes of partnering with our photographer's husband to block the wind and the large flame that was beginning to flourish between us and the paper thin lantern, we decided she wanted to fly. With all the hopes and dreams and encouragement we could muster, we let the lantern into the air.

I guess the lantern is carried more by wind than good wishes, because it started moving straight toward a parked car. Let me remind you that this is a huge flame in the lantern, not a little sissy flame. So there we are- me, Cameron, 2 bridesmaids and 2 photographers- yelling and screaming at this lantern, "Go! Go! Up up up! Oh my gosh THE CAR!" The lantern misses the car by mere inches and heads straight into the road to catch the whole world on fire!

Cameron, full in his wedding suit, begins running toward the street as the rest of us contribute with a mixture of screams and laughter. When he catches the lantern he proceeds to stomp it out (in his fancy shoes) and then picks it up triumphantly. Little does he know, it's still on fire. Like flaming crazy fire. 

"Cameron!!! YOU ARE GOING TO CATCH ON FIRE!!!!" I am yelling as he looks to his side and begins to crazy stomp again.

"Mud puddle! Mud puddle! I found a mud puddle!" my bridesmaid yells and we finally avert all catastrophe with a bit of wet mud and a whole lot of laughter. It was a memory I will never forget as I realized that not every moment is like the Pinterest photos, but man, they can sure turn out a whole lot more fun.

Stay tuned for more details soon :)

Comments

  1. Laughing till I'm crying
    ...live it! Great priceless memories! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laughing till I'm crying
    ...live it! Great priceless memories! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha, such good memories were made :) I love you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Endings and Beginnings

Faith Within Suffering

Five Years After the Divorce