The Debut of Meredith 2.0

Last night I went to a wedding and debuted Meredith 2.0. Actually it is probably version 563.7 but we will say 2.0 just for simplicity sake. As a matter of fact, it was one of my "kids" (read: high school students that I used to mentor) that threw some wisdom at me the other day and impacted my decision to embrace the newer, better, brighter future.

I was lamenting about a picture I had lost that had him and some of the other kids in it when he texted me, "They're all good memories but sometimes we have to. . . look forward to better memories."

I know. Tell me about it. I "raised" good teenagers.

As 2017 comes to a close I could easily sit around and wallow in what was and what could have been, but really that isn't too productive. The much better alternative is to put on my favorite sparkly shoes and a great dress and walk into a group of people with my head held high, my heart full of excitement for what is to come, and my feet full of fantastic dance moves.

So the latter is what I did last night. I made myself fancy and I started a new chapter of the new me.

And it was great.

I ended up sitting with some fantastic, kind, and funny people and laughing so hard. I met new friends, spent time with old friends I hadn't seen for years, and held tight to some dear friends who made sure to look out for me. I managed to (while obviously still looking flawless) knock over my entire flute of sparkling cider while exclaiming a curse word in front a bunch of RZIM staff members, and eat a huge piece of delicious cake while continuing to groove to the tunes on the dance floor. I also tried to start a dance party with the sparklers to "Don't Stop Believing" but it didn't catch on. Ah well.

I laughed, I cried happy tears for my friend, I danced, and I enjoyed the evening. I enjoyed the beginning of this next chapter of new and better memories.

And even though I walked away without any marriage proposals or spontaneous declarations of love for me based on my amazing shoes alone, I walked away feeling fabulous and excited for what is to come.

And that, my friends, was the debut of Meredith 2.0.

I do declare that based on last night, I am going to enjoy this new chapter very much.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Endings and Beginnings

Faith Within Suffering

Five Years After the Divorce