Chemo Definitely Sucks

Hi.

I am tired. But I want to write while it is all still fresh.

Today, I conquered my first chemo session. Granted, the effects of it won't hit for a few days, but to get through today was a serious accomplishment. I don't like to talk about this being hard because I know a lot of other people with cancer have it a lot harder than me, but for today, I am going to go ahead and be proud that I survived the day.

The day really wasn't too bad. I was there from 10am-5pm. I was in the cold cap for 5 hours and that is honestly the worst part. It is so tight and it feels like someone laid a bunch of popsicles straight onto your head. It hurts your jaw and made me dizzy. But I know it will be worth it. The oncologist told me to be optimistic about my hair and that is a big deal. They don't encourage your optimism very often.

There were moments of pain, moments where I was so cold, moments where I really had to pee but needed the nurse to unhook my IV so I wouldn't pee my pants (I definitely over-hydrated!). There was a moment at the end when I had to get a shot and I just got so overwhelmed. I gave the nurses a verbal warning that I was getting overwhelmed (literally, I felt the tears coming so I said, "um, I think I am getting a little overwhelmed.") but she grabbed my hand, looked me in the eye, and told me how great I was doing and how much I had conquered that day.

And those are the moments I think I am going to take away from today. The moment when the old African-American man got up from his treatment across from me and wished me well, wished me blessings, and a lovely weekend. We hadn't even said a word to each other before that. The moment where the family next to me, who had been through so much, told me that this session had been better for them because of my company. The moment when the volunteer massage therapist came and rubbed my feet, just to make me feel calm and pampered. The cheering on of my nurse, Ashley, and the look of support from the older lady sitting on the other side when I started to cry at the end of the long day.

When I look back at pictures from today I will see the blanket from Nicole, the other blanket from Katie and Katherine, the snacks from the Good family, the cross from my brother, and the "bad ass babes club" shirt from Morgan. I will see the countless messages/letters/texts from all of you wishing me well and reminding me that I am a conquerer. The moments will be defined by these tokens of love.




I truly believe that the moments of solidarity, of kindness, of joining together with friends and strangers in a hard thing, is what will hold my heart up when it gets weary. 

I won't lie to you, this sucks. It really sucks. And tonight, as grateful as I am, I am really really sad. I do not pity myself. I do not question why me. I know I am strong, but tonight I am strong and sad.


Sometimes the brokenness of this world just sucks. Disease sucks. Heartbreak sucks. Death sucks. So much sucks.

But today I was also reminded of something beautiful. I was reminded that there is also still so so much good in the world. So many people are loving, and kind, and trying their best in difficult situations.

And that? That is something that will always get me through my head being frozen and my body being flushed with chemo drugs.

That is something that has the power to overcome anything that is to come. 

Comments

  1. Love you so much...so proud of you!!! One day at a tum... Hes got this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got goosebumps. Meredith, you literally shine God’s light in the midst of your dark times. I love you and am proud of you. You are a bad ass! But it is okay to be sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you Mere, so amazed by you, think of you so often, and want you to come sit by the ocean soon and get loved on out here. Hugs and more hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so proud of you for making room for your sadness. We often run from it as if it is bad or wrong. It doesn't negate joy or gratitude or perspective; it can be bedfellows with all of these and so many more and not detract from them at all.
    I am also proud of you because chemo does in fact suck, and not one person who "has it worse than you" will grudge you feeling that way. You ARE strong, you ARE brave, you ARE amazing...and you are also tired, and sad and even scared. Cancer is such an overwhelming and come experience. You are loved, always...even on days where you freely admit the suck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meredith you are right, it does suck. Please continue to allow yourself to feel your very real and raw emotions. I am so sorry you are having this experience in life. Sending many prayers your way.
    Audra Bruner

    ReplyDelete
  6. And boy oh boy, can you ever write!!!!! Don't forget that for goodness sakes!!! It gives hope and strength to those who might need it!! It puts smiles on the faces who have only seen sadness. And it inspires many of us to keep on keeping on no matter what!!! You are someone special. And you WILL come out on top. I don't want to say I'm enjoying your journey. But I am certainly enjoying the fact that you are so candid and inspirational. Hang on for the whole ride......bumps and all. Hugs to you, Meredith!!! Say hi to your mom too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are an inspiration! You are in my prayers. I am so proud of you...Aunt Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Meredith you are such a beautiful person and beautiful writer . Your courage and strength is so inspirational and praying for you everyday . Sending love - Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  9. God bless you Meredith. I enjoyed reading your last blog post. Prayers for you as you go forward.😘

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Endings and Beginnings

Faith Within Suffering

Five Years After the Divorce