Re-Learning to Breathe

This is hard.

Each day I battle fear and I hate it.

I want to be confident in my healing, but instead I wrestle with anxiety. I fear that I am not healing correctly, that those bruises aren't supposed to be there, that maybe that scar looks funny. I worry that my breathing should be better, that the little pain I feel is something more.

I try to distract myself with work, television, and chores, but I still have to remind myself to breathe, to pray, to trust.

At one point during recovery I ended up in the ER. I think that shook me. It made me realize that things can go wrong. Thankfully everything ended up fine, but it was a scary few hours.

Googling things also does not help. Trust me, if you have cancer or surgery or even a cough, do not google it. The stories out there are awful and definitely not helpful.

I hate that I am still so tired. I walk outside with the dog and my chest begins to hurt (probably anxiety) and my breath shortens the farther we stroll. Granted we have been having average temperatures of over 100 degrees, but still, its frustrating.

Fear and anxiety add to chest pain. I know that. So daily, at least 10 times, I have to remind myself to breathe. Deeply in and deeply out. Ironically, after surgery I had to relearn how to breathe. A machine would beep every few minutes as I lost oxygen. Every hour I would have to practice breathing more deeply. Turns out 3 weeks post-op, not much has changed.

I am still learning to breathe in the peace of the Holy Spirit and breathe out fear.

And let me tell you. . . despite my positivity. . .

it is really really hard. 

Comments

  1. Meredith thank you for your honesty. You are in a very difficult place and it is so hard. We all have anxieties and fears and it is sometimes nice to hear we’re not alone in that. You have encouraged me today. I love you so much! The savior is right next to you as you wrestle with fear. He has been there. He understands.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Endings and Beginnings

Faith Within Suffering

Five Years After the Divorce