The Day Before Surgery

Tomorrow I go in for surgery.

It isn't something I can really wrap my mind around.

I know how I will wear my hair, what I will pack to come home in, and what time I am supposed to report. But all of my hospital knowledge comes from tv. I've never broken a bone, never had a surgery, never even been very sick.

Tomorrow I go in for surgery and I will come out different. The prayer is that I come out cancer free, requiring no further treatment. The prayer is that my body heals in miraculous ways because I am young and otherwise healthy.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous.

Yet it seems fitting to combine a physical scar with the less visible scars from the difficulties of the last few years. To be honest, the diagnosis didn't surprise me. Extreme and prolonged stress/trauma messes with you, no matter what the surgeon says.

I'll be honest.
Cancer is a cake walk compared to what I went through last summer.

And though I am scared of the hospital, the recovery, the changes to my everyday life in the future, I know one thing for certain.

God will heal me.

At the beginning of my diagnosis I found it written in the margin of an old notebook from graduate school.

My daughter, my daughter, by your faith you have been healed. 

I caught a vision early on of the woman who was healed by touching Jesus's cloak and I began to pray.

Jesus let me touch the hem of your cloak. 

I mentioned that prayer off-handedly to my father a few weeks later.

That is weird. He said. I've been praying the exact same phrase. 

I went to a new church this past Sunday. A liturgical church that read a Gospel Scripture, one that had nothing to do with the message but was simply the assigned Scripture for the day.

 26 She had suffered a great deal under the care of many doctors and had spent all she had, yet instead of getting better she grew worse. 27 When she heard about Jesus, she came up behind him in the crowd and touched his cloak, 28 because she thought, “If I just touch his clothes, I will be healed.” 29 Immediately her bleeding stopped and she felt in her body that she was freed from her suffering.
30 At once Jesus realized that power had gone out from him. He turned around in the crowd and asked, “Who touched my clothes?”
31 “You see the people crowding against you,” his disciples answered, “and yet you can ask, ‘Who touched me?’
32 But Jesus kept looking around to see who had done it. 33 Then the woman, knowing what had happened to her, came and fell at his feet and, trembling with fear, told him the whole truth. 34 He said to her, “Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be freed from your suffering.”

It is going to be a journey. It is going to have its challenges. But in the end, I know that one way or another I will be healed and all will be made well again. 

In fact my friends just texted me and I think what she said was true. 

All has already been made well. 

Comments

  1. You will be on my heart and in my prayers🙏🏻

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you tomorrow, Meredith, as Allyson and I go for a post op follow-up from her breast cancer surgery just 2 weeks ago. When people say, and they will, "You got this!", just remember that you do not "have it", but God does. And he has you, in the palm of his hand. Rest in that knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers love Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying you thru...God's got this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. God is got lots of healing planned for you :) We love you and are praying with you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Endings and Beginnings

Faith Within Suffering

Five Years After the Divorce