Two Degrees of Separation from THE Clint Eastwood!


Last night  I got to babysit for a family I haven't been to before. The little girl at this house told me they weren't babies so I technically couldn't sit on them like my job description stated so that was a nice perk. I'm not very fond of sitting on babies. 

I don't know how it happens but I always get to babysit for the coolest families around here. It almost makes me not want to move (almost). This family, who I was referred to by my other family (score! I passed the awesome babysitter test!) produces and directs with Clint Eastwood. Movies like Million Dollar Baby, Letters from Iwo Jima, Gran Torino, and most recently, Trouble with the Curve. How awesome is that? They were so down to earth and really lovely people (and their house was amazing!). 

But back to the point. 

Every time I babysit for one of these amazing families it makes me recognize a slight stirring in my heart. And then I realize that all I really want is to take all this love that is stored up in my heart and pour it out in the shape of bedtime stories and goodnight kisses. I want to make hot chocolate with marshmallows, and casseroles for dinner, and I want to get up early to cook pancakes and waffles. I want to snuggle up on the couch with a book and a house full of kids doing homework.To feel love, to give love, in a home full of giggles and laughter and back-to-school nights- that sounds like the life. 

But, until that day comes, I'll settle for loving on the kids that aren't mine (technically). I'll settle for discussions of toys coming alive and giggling glances as I read stories. I'll settle for hearing,  "I really want you to come back," "I want you to stay with me" and the incessant screams of excitement as I knock on the door. I will think of the hugs I get around my knees and my neck and I think we can all admit, that doesn't really sound like settling at all.  

Plus, a lot of times those families feed me free pizza. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Endings and Beginnings

Always Stuck In an Airport

Faith Within Suffering