The One Sure Thing

"You've got to believe in God," he said. "The world is too wretched for there not to be something beyond this. Believe there will be justice in the next life. We should fear no evil, eh? 'Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death. . . thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.'"
- Mary Horlock 


In my line of work I see a lot of hard things. Much of it is the result of choices made, footsteps followed in, and one's own volition, but it is suffering all the same. As my daily life has joined with the struggles of Native American young people, my view of God has many times been clouded. It has become harder and harder to understand His ways, His goodness, and His character. But it is in those moments, when frustrations rise and my students' lives don't seem to make any sense, that I stop to think of the one thing that I do know for sure.

And that is this- that there was a historical man named Jesus, who could only have been Lord, the Son of God, And He, who was fully God and fully man, died because He loved my kids so much. Because He believed so strongly that each of us was worth dying for. 

And no matter what each day brings, what new struggles I or my students face, I know that Jesus makes sense. And there is nothing else that makes more sense than following Him and teaching Native American young people to do the same.

So as we go on with our daily lives, let us believe that the end has already been set. Let us believe that He is victorious even in the hard things, and may we be in prayer that our focus will never be fully clouded from the One who believed that we were worth dying for. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Endings and Beginnings

Faith Within Suffering

Five Years After the Divorce