The Inevitability of Chaos



I love this picture. I was in Southern India, seeing some sights, and I wanted my photo taken with the amazing background I was surrounded with. The aim was to look gorgeous, well put together, and world-traveler-esque in my Indian outfit on this foreign land. Well, the wind got the better of me and right as the picture was snapped my long shirt flew up, revealing my pale stomach and my three-sizes-too-big pants. In the moment I had no idea what to do as I assumed this was most inappropriate yet also had no way to stop the crazy winds. When I looked back at the picture I simply laughed, realizing that this was probably the one that most captured the essence of my trip. Though I was trying my best to fit in and do the right things I was still being blown about by the wind and in the end I had to realize that sometimes things don't turn out as planned. Sometimes you just have to go with the flow and realize you really have no idea what you are doing. 
I just put this picture up by my desk (you can too if you want...just kidding...that might be weird) so everyday I will see it and remember. I want to remember to laugh at the unexpected, to stop trying to control the wind, the unknown, and embrace the impact of my surroundings. It reminds me that life is an adventure, and as hard as we try to do it all right, sometimes things won't go our way. This is the beauty of the journey. It is these windy moments that remind us that we are just a small piece of the plan. Ultimately we have to give up trying to control everything and simply trust that God will give us the ability to do the best that we can. 
It is the chaos in the midst of serenity that can either drive us crazy or lead us to raise our hands up and let God take over. I choose the second. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Endings and Beginnings

Faith Within Suffering

Five Years After the Divorce