My Flesh and My Heart May Fail

The Psalms speak to my soul. This is the one place in the Bible where we can see the folly of man. We can stand beside the writer and feel his pain, his anguish, and his desires. We feel those feelings! We think those thoughts! The Psalms, they seem to speak from my own soul. 

Last night I came across Psalm 73. Every now and again I read a Psalm that I feel I could have written. This was such a Psalm. 

*A side note is that I recently purchased a NRSV translated Bible and I love it. I recommend it for anyone, especially if you grew up on the NIV like I did. It is a refreshing read of the Scriptures. *

The Psalm begins with these words:

"Truly God is good to the upright, 
to those who are pure in heart. 
But as for me, my feet had almost 
stumbled;
my steps had nearly slipped."

How true this is of my heart! Surely God is good to those who are pure it heart, but oh how my feet have almost stumbled! How easy it is to get entangled. How easy it is to become envious and embittered. How I picture my steps that nearly slipped. 

But the end of the Psalm wrapped my heart with the warm touch of my Savior. Let these words swell in your head and your chest as you read them. 

"When my soul was embittered,
when I was pricked in heart,
I was stupid and ignorant;
I was like a brute beast toward you.
Nevertheless (oh how I love a nevertheless!) I am continually with you;
you hold my right hand.
You guide me with your councel,
and afterward you will receive me
with honor.
Whom have I in heaven but you?
And there is nothing on earth that I
desire other than you.
*Here is the kicker!*
My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart
and my portion forever." 

Oh those words! They cut you to the heart don't they!? My flesh and my heart may fail but GOD is the STRENGTH of my heart and my portion FOREVER. I am telling you, nothing gives me more comfort than these words. Every day I reveal my innumerable flaws and failures. I am pricked in heart, stupid and ignorant, yet my God is continually with me. 

We couldn't ask for anything more. 

"But for me it is good to be near God;
I have made the Lord GOD my refuge,
to tell of all your works."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Endings and Beginnings

Faith Within Suffering

Five Years After the Divorce