Saturday Morning Thoughts

It is a quiet last Saturday on the rez. Yesterday was full, full of activity, sorrow, and Chinese food buffets. Though my time is ending here the hardships are not. I am still learning how to walk with my students through their pain and fears even though I have no answers, but I consistently find it a blessing that the girls are willing to talk with me about their struggles and their hardships in their homes. My heart is burdened for their pain, but God is continually working with me. 

Speaking of God working with me, the last few days I have had the chance to read a phenomenal book recommended to me by my darling friend Julia. The book is Passion and Purity by Elizabeth Elliot and is the best book I have ever read on matters of the heart. I am being challenged as I read, and the words seem to float from the page and lodge themselves directly into the crevices of my heart. I am learning to be patient, to trust in the Lord, and each day when I open the book I feel like Elizabeth was writing just for me in this exact moment, like she is a close friend that I have talked with for hours. One of my favorite quotes so far (there have been many) is this "...but the things that we feel most deeply we ought to learn to be silent about, at least until we have talked them over thoroughly with God." I have a problem being silent. I like to spew out all of my feelings, my plans, my ideals, and I usually want you to do the same to me. But I am learning that the passions and desires of our hearts must first be discussed with the One who created those passions, and we must be faithful first to His calling and His desire. I am very thankful to Julia for introducing me to this book at this time in my life, for it seems that each word has made me stronger and led me to be more of the woman that God wants me to be, despite my constant mistakes and sinful nature. 

I implore you, man or woman, no matter your age, to go out and buy this book.  While you check Amazon and order your copy I am going to go join my roommate in a day of baking, laundry, and well, more baking. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Endings and Beginnings

Faith Within Suffering

Five Years After the Divorce