Called to be faithful.

We are not called to be successful, we are called to be faithful.
-Dr. Bryant Myers


At first glance that sentence seems to make no sense. If I cannot be successful and make a difference in the world, then why am I here? Why am I on the other side of the country at seminary studying development if I am not going to make a difference? But then I see it. I see that what he means is that we must simply give our best. We aren't going to eradicate poverty, but we are going to be faithful in going forth and trying. We are to be the best that we can be to serve God, and let God do the rest. 


This one sentence, from one class, is going to save me a lifetime of disappointment. For I now see that this is not about me fixing the world. This is about me being faithful to God's call and doing the best I can do at what He asks of me. It is about knowing myself in a way that I can deal with myself now and not get in the way of my own ministry later. 


I may want to change the world, but the truth is I am going to have to settle for changing myself and being faithful to my God. I'll leave the rest to Him. I need to give my all, not because I can fix everything, but because this is what God asks of me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Endings and Beginnings

Faith Within Suffering

Five Years After the Divorce